Thursday, August 15, 2013

My Life as a Fifth Grade Comedian by Elizabeth Levy

This hilarious book by Elizabeth Levy will have you slapping your knees in no time.  This book was born and made funny.  It even has a joke at the beginning of each chapter!  Look carefully and you will find the same joke INSIDE the chapter.  It also has a more serious side.  The main character, Bobby Garick, makes constant jokes and pranks that have his principal threatening to send him to reform school.  However, his nice teacher Mr. Matous gives him one last chance to make a school-wide "laugh off" and keep him in school.  Hardly anyone thinks that Bobby can pull off the laugh off- especially his dad.  But, can Bobby prove to everyone that he is finally going straight?

I liked this book because it is not too long.  Some books add too much detail and can be hard to digest. This one has just enough detail to make it good and sometimes adds little ones that seem unimportant but later add to the story greatly.  I also like the main character because he is the absolute opposite of me.  He is kind of a  jokester and sometimes doesn't do his homework- actually that is what gets him in trouble in the first place.  In my family, it is out of the question not to do your homework.  I also think it's interesting, though not quite as funny, that his brother got thrown out of school for running a gambling ring!  This kind of scares Bobby as he sees what happened to his brother after he got thrown out of school and how his family reacted.  I also like his grandma who is just like Bobby, she likes to laugh.  His dad is also a pivotal character in the story because he doesn't believe in his son which makes Bobby, I think, slightly insecure.  Which may explain why he makes so many jokes.

All in all I think this book is wonderful and wrapped up in a little package.  It is good for budding readers because it is not too long.  I give it 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment