Monday, July 29, 2013

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

This is a book I came across at school.  I had heard of Gary Paulsen and had read a few of his works, like Mudshark, and wanted to read Hatchet.  I read the back of the book and the minute I started reading I was interested.  What is going to happen?  Will he survive?

The Hatchet is about a boy named Brian Robertson.  While taking a two person plane to Canada to visit his father, the pilot has a heart attack and  the plane crashes in the wilderness.  Armed with nothing but a hatchet, Brian is pressed to find food and shelter in the unforgiving Canadian woods.  He is up against terrible dangers: encounters with wolves, bears and a tornado among them.  Brian must find a way to survive and maybe one day get back home.  Or else...

The Hatchet is a masterpiece of a book created by the talented author Gary Paulsen.  Hatchet has a lot going for it.  It has amazing realism to it unmatched by any other book that I have read.  It probably could have happened in real life.  I like the authors rapid fire then slow going writing style goes well with this genre.  Just when you think Brian is safe, something bad happens!  I only have one complaint, sometimes he doesn't provide enough details, other times it seems like too much.  But all and all this is a must read for fans of the action/survival genre.  I give it a rating of 4 1/2 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment